Thursday, May 5, 2011

fabric tulips tutorial


So you'd like to make some tulips ?

First you will need some scrap cardboard .
Copy the diagram below , my finished template
was about 6" long by about 2 1/2 " high
with a little edge about 1/4" on each end .


Trace around your template onto doubled fabric .
Do not cut out yet .
Begin your stitching on the little edge leaving
the longer side pieces open .
Stitch all around the petal shapes .
Trim and clip curves before turning out .


Give your petals a good iron .
Open the fabric and match the unstitched edges and stitch .
Turn the tulip right side out .
Fold under the raw edges at the base of the tulip
and use a double thread to tack all around
and then pull the gathering stitches to form the base .


Push a stick into the centre (you can use a chopstick)
If you find your flower a bit wobbly on the stick
you can add some glue on the inside .

Tie a piece of green ric rac or ribbon on the stick
because this makes the tulips look even more real !

A few variations could be putting two flowers
on one stick for double tulips or having
different fabrics on the inside .


All done !
Let me know what you think and if
you make some I'd love to see them .


Thanks a bunch for visiting !

                                                                            
                                                                  



                                                                                  


18 comments:

miss~nance said...

Gorgeous tulips TY Clare.

Hugs & Blessings

Gail

Sue Niven said...

These are just delightful, thank you.

RobynLouise said...

Great compact, informative little tutorial! Love your clear photos. This has given me an idea!

Liz said...

Clare-they aregreat .I am going to TRY and get some done for M/Day lunch.

Allie said...

Too dang cute girl - thanks a BUNCH!

ittybittyandpretty said...

your creative soul is a never ending well of wonderfulness (is that a word?) how do you do it? lovely tulips, thanks.
xxxrosey

Christine M said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I'll have to give them a go when I get a chance.

Jossie said...

They are lovely Clare. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

Great tulips! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

Cheryll said...

What a clever little thing you are! They're fantastic! :)

Louise said...

Might have a go at these if I find the time, they are lovely. I have finally got round to making something Clare with the rainy day fabric you sent to me. It wasn't what I originally planned but this project only used a smidgeon of the sheet, so plenty left over for a cushion cover and/or bunting.

Unknown said...

Great Tute! Thank You xx

Jewel said...

Hi Clare,

Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog! I hope you like it and keep reading! I love your tulips! I will have to give them a go!

Jewel x

Katie said...

Oooh I like those a lot! Very cute!

Anonymous said...

Very cute, plan to make a few.

Norma C

Kate said...

Love your tulips .... guess what I'm making today!! Thanks.

mis manos said...

muy lindas.............gracias

mamita said...

Congratulations for this project.Great tutorial easy tutorial. Thanks for sharing.