Wednesday, June 27, 2012

fabric bowl covers


Can you believe I'm starting on a little Christmas gift stash already !
I've been whipping up some fabric bowl covers so we can use less plastic wrap.
I have seen people use shower caps as bowl covers
but they are still plastic and they look ugly !

These pretty fabric ones won't really keep your food fresh
but they will keep the flys off your food at parties . 
They'd be great if you were having a themed party
as you could make these to match.


There are some covers around that require you to zig zag over elastic
and stretch and juggle as you go but that seemed a bit hard for me .

This is how I did mine ~
Cut a circle of fabric about 2" larger than your chosen bowl.
Bind all around the raw edge. Make your own or buy binding
but it needs to be wide enough to thread your elastic through .
On the underside of your bound cover in the binding make a small slit.
Use a small safety pin or bodkin and hat elastic and
 thread the elastic through .
Check that it fits your bowl before tieing the elastic ends together.
Tuck the elastic knot inside the binding .

That's it , so easy !


These can be made for any size bowl and I think they're gorgeous!
Much nicer than shower caps , don't you think ?

If you make some please let me know , I'd love to see .

11 comments:

debsway said...

Hey they look great, thanks for the good idea. Now what would happen if you made it out of plastic fabric that you can get from spotlight??? Just wondering

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

They are great Clare!

Cassandra said...

What a great idea.. I might just have to whip some up before the weather warms up again in time for BBQ season :)
Thanks for sharing!

Deb R said...

Love the themed idea!!!

Pauline said...

That's a great idea! European wasps are a pest at summer time and stop me from eating outside. I'd bought the plastic ones that look like shower caps and boy, are they ugly!

RobynLouise said...

Much better than throwing a clean teatowel over the salad bowls at a BBq!

Karen said...

SO glad to hear someone else is starting the christmas stash too and these covers are brilliant!!

Ric Rac and Polka Dots said...

Thank you so much Clare. I'm glad someone can understand how much time is involved with writing these. I'll just keep working at it till they are finished. I'm crossing my fingers and toes. This just HAS to go well, I don't know what else I would do. This is all I have done except for medical transcription for a little bit out of my home. They say to do what you love so I'm doing it! I'm going to think positive and hope for the best. Either way, I love doing it so it wouldn't be a total loss, right? Thanks for the positive thoughts and support, I really appreciate it! Now look, I wrote a novel too!! :)
Hugs,
Julie

Little stitch and me said...

Wow these are a great idea. I could do with some as we have horses living around us so flies are always a problem. Just going to read some more of your blog now as I have just found it.

Jan said...

So practical and pretty - thanks for the tute, Clare!

Chrissie said...

Thanks so much for the great idea, just what I needed to get me going again. Not only did I make the covers but I also had to make my first bias binding. Bit limited in my stash but great anyway.