Thursday, March 17, 2011

easter coasters and placemat tutorial



I've been promising a new tutorial for a while
and finally here it is !
It's quick , it's easy and you can change the colours
and make it for kids or big people .
They would look great on your Easter breakfast table !

You will need about 20 x 1" x 60cm strips
 in fabric of your choice .
wadding and backing fabric approx 65cm x 40cm .
Make sure your wadding and backing is
a bit larger than your front piece.

 
Join your 1' strips to make a piece about 40cm .
Lay your backing fabric right side down .
Sandwich the wadding between the joined piece and
the backing fabric . Secure.
Stitch in ditch along all joins .

Use a fabric marker and trace 4 egg shapes about
the size of your hand on the back of the quilted piece.
Repeat for a larger egg shape for placemat about A4 size .
Do not cut shapes out yet.
Stitch all around shapes .
Cut out all egg shapes about 1cm from stitched line .


Use clippers or small sharp scissors to snip little cuts
all around from the edge
to the stitched line taking care not to go too far .


Give your coasters and placemat a good shake to shaggy up the edges .


I hope these instructions are clear enough for you .
I.am.not.a.quilter.

Please let me know if you make some as
I'd love to see them in your choice of colours .




33 comments:

Melody said...

Simple, easy and incredibly cute. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

So very cute!

Kelly Casanova said...

Very cute Clare, thank you for that!

Shay said...

I.am.a.quilter. and you did a great job. They're cute!

Sonia said...

They're lovely. Easter has been on my mind and I'm seriously considering trying out this tutorial. Besides, it will give me an excuse to go to the quilt shop! I'm also going to make a first attempt at hot cross buns.

miss~nance said...

These are very very cute and your instructions are very cloear and simple. I wonder if it would work using the quilt as you go technique.

hugs & blessings

Gail XXX

PS you may not be able to say you are not a quilter for much longer :-D

Megan said...

i'm hoping to be able to do a bit of easter crafting this year, this is a neat idea, thanks for the tutorial :)

Jeni said...

so cute........ and the colours a lovely

Jodie @ The Haby Goddess said...

I'm not a quilter either Clare but I think I could give these a go. Very cute :)

Crafty Chookie said...

Very cute and crafty.
Thanks Clare for sharing..
Hugs Michelle

Crafty Chookie said...

Very cute and crafty.
Thanks Clare for sharing..
Hugs Michelle

manda said...

They are wonderful!!! Thankyou Clare!!!

Barb said...

These are adorable...thanks for the tutorial!

Miranda said...

Thanks for this lovely lessons!

Catherine said...

Lovely!

Julia said...

These are great!!!!

- said...

Perfect!

Allie said...

How CUTE - thanks for the great tutorial, Clare! Oh and btw - yes, you are a quilter now, lol!!! These qualify as mini-quilts!

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Thanks for a great tutorial Clare.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

quilary said...

Such pretty material - it's a lovely tutorial. Thanks for sharing it Clare.

Maria said...

Thanks for sharing Clare. what a great idea.

Karen's Korner said...

Very pretty and cute with clear and easy to follow instructions.

Laura said...

Oh! These are Too Cute! I want to make some!! I will let you know if I do:)

Tania said...

Quick? Easy? Colour interchangeable? You got me, kid. (even though you're freaking me out slightly because I didn't quite realise that Easter was quite so 'looming')...

Julie said...

Oh gosh! How cute are those coasters and what a great idea snipping the edge rather than binding.

Just noticed my blog in your blog roll links to my old blog. :0)

Sew Useful Designs said...

Oh Clare - that's just WAY too cute! I'm going to have to make some of these! :-)

Thank you for the inspiration and the tutorial, sweetie!

Hugs!!!! Vikki xoxoxo

Betsy said...

I just saw another pattern that I liked, but I wanted more oval shaped placemats, and you have them! I love the shabby edges too!

mary k said...

Oh my goodness! These are so cute. You are so generous to share your pattern. I can't wait to make some of these for my granddaughters!
I would like to thank you for the rerun of your carrot tutorial I have a blogging friend who collects carrots. She is a real sweetheart, but had not been feeling well. I decided to send her a bouquet of carrots as a get well present. She loved them. I was in such a hurry to send them to her that I forgot to snap a picture. I'll get her to take one and I'll send it to you. THANKS again . mary k

mis manos said...

belicismo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jean - Oksewnsew said...

Just adorable, can't wait to make some. Thanks for such a great tutorial.

Lyn said...

What a great tutorial. Very festive. Thanks. Lyn

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

Adorable! Thank you for the great tutorial!

Sew Gramy Sew said...

These look lovely, easy and something I want to do at the last minute. I am wandering what they would look like with binding, or if it would change the look too much? Any comments?