Friday, November 19, 2010

bucket tutorial (buckets of fun!)




Thanks so much to Kerryanne for organising
Simply Christmas and inviting me to be a part of it .

Just in case you missed this tutorial last week
at Kerryannes I thought I'd replay it for you
besides it was sitting in my blogger dashboard
with draft written beside it taunting me !
I really don't like loose ends .


I use these buckets all year round and they make great gifts
filled with the recipients favourite things .
I call mine Honey Pots as I have made mine
so that a 1.5kg (empty) honey pot fits inside .
This make the whole thing stand up firmly
and you are then able to prop things up in them
even flowers !
I hope you enjoy making these .
First of all you will need - fabric

Upper band = 3 1/2 " x 18"
Lower band =3 1/2 x 18"
Lining = 6 1/4 x18"
Prairie points 24" x 3"
ric rac x 18"
12" ribbon
2 co-ordinating fabric circles with 6" diameter
interfacing for base and lining


Cut your prairie point fabric into 8 x 3 inch squares .
Fold over point to point to form a triangle .
Fold over again until all raw edges are at the long edge of the triangle .
Press and starch as you go for nice sharp points .


Pin the points to the top edge of the
 lower band of the main fabric
starting and ending a little before the edges.
Slip the top corner of each point into the one before .
Tack the points on to secure .


Stitch ric rac along the middle of the upper band .
With right sides facing and using a 1/4" seam
stitch the top and bottom band together .

Adhere the interfacing to the lining and lining circle .
With right sides facing stitch the completed outer
at the short ends forming a tube .
Repeat for the lining .


Cut your ribbon piece into 2 x 6" pieces .
Pin each piece of ribbon to the top of the main fabric
each at the halfway point .
Slip the lining tube over the outer tube with
right sides facing and stitch all around
catching the ribbon handles .


Pin and stitch one fabric circle to the main fabric .
Pin and stitch remaining circle to lining
leaving a gap about 3" for turning through .
Trim with pinking shears .

Pull fabric gently through gap and stitch closed .
You can also topstitch along the top too .
Fill your pots with baubles or tinsel and use as
a decoration or fill with wrapped lollies
to give as a gift .

The one made here was the giveaway prize
and the winner was
Congratulations Brianna and thankyou
to Kerryanne for having me
at your place , I hope I didn't make too much mess .

I think I may have because she has cleaning
for Christmas tips today , oops! 

                                     



                                       
                                               
                                      
                                            
                  
         
        





14 comments:

Melody said...

Hi Clare. This bucket is really cute. I think I'll make some next year for Easter. Have a great weekend.

Steph said...

Oh I need me some honey pots! Thanks so much for the great tutorial. Off the fabric stash I go right now! :)

Maxabella said...

They look terrific, Clare. So festive AND practical as well! x

Teresa said...

Brilliant tutorial Clare.. I love presents that are not only gorgeous but useful as well. Going to have to get everyone to eat more honey I think!

blandina said...

Great tutorial, thanks a lot. I think that I will be making several of these for my friends this Christmas...a good way to lower my stash!

Jossie said...

Lovely bucket. Thanks for sharing the pattern Clare. I am totally addicted to little bags and buckets.

Tania said...

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY DRAFTS ARE SITTING ON MY DASHBOARD? I want to be you. Very sweet buckets.

Heidi said...

Those are so adorable, I could see them filled with lovely gifts!

Indigo Blue said...

Hi,
You have used great fabric in this tutorial. Love the point detail too. Many thanks for the flood comment you left. We have just be told thst we wre due another heavy down pour to night again.
xx

Rachaeldaisy said...

How clever is your Honey Pot. I love the prarie points. Thanks for the easy to follow tutorial.

elliesue said...

Clare, I tried to tell you before that I love that bucket, especially the materials you used, but my Google was playing up. As it seems to be working OK now I will quickly send a comment before it realises. Every time I see that photo it screams out to me as it is in my favourite colours. Thank you for the pattern.

quilary said...

I just rescued the large Milo tin fr om the bin - I'm going to try and use it as my honey pot. Thanks for the tute.

Toddler Birthday Gifts said...

I was really excited to see this Christmas gifts so early. This post brought the message of Christmas in a different style. The decorative were also stunning. I loved them all.

Impact said...

Honey Pots- The name is totally exciting. I can't believe that those were used buckets decorated to give a gorgeous look. The Santa is looking too sweet except that The beard should be a little longer.