Wednesday, September 12, 2012

morning tea with

Hello there , thanks for coming over . Make yourself comfy .
This morning Mich from Lilli May Designs is here for morning tea .

Coffee or tea ?
Decaf Tea please .
What is your business ?
  Lilli May designs.
What do you do ?
 I hand make clothes and decor items for children and the home.
How long has it been going ?
 8 months
 How did it start out ?
  I have been sewing for over 20 years, but really started focusing on it when I was made redundant late last year.
 
How do manage around your family ?
 When Lilli May (16 month old daughter) sleeps, that's when I sew.
 If I am particularly busy, then my husband will take her out for the day on Saturdays and Sundays.
When your craft becomes your work how do you relax ?
 I have allocated Friday's as my 'day off' so even when she sleeps I don't sew any orders. If I feel like sewing on a Friday, I will make something 'just for fun'
Do you make things and sometimes keep them for yourself ?
Yes all the time! Sometimes I create a fabric combo for an order, and realise how great it is, that I make one for Lilli May as well!. Plus I am in the middle of making a skirt and vest for myself.
What is your favourite craft?
Sewing and all things fabric
Describe a normal day for you ?
Get up and dressed, have breakfast and play outside and then go for a walk with the pram with Lilli May. Come inside and have lunch. Lilli May then goes down for her nap so I get 2 hours of sewing done. I will usually spend this time working on orders, locked away in my cougar cave with the radio on. Then after dinner whilst we both watch her, I respond to emails, search for fabrics and do the invoicing.
Are your designs your own ?
 Some are my own, some are purchased and some are modified from purchased patterns
Tell us something quirky about yourself ?
I LOVE to eat lemons and salt!
What are your plans ? How much further do you plan to take your business ?
 I plan to keep creating beautiful handmade items for my family and customers and to grow it so that I can continue to help support our family and spend precious time with Lilli May as she grows.
Where do you sell ? 
 I currently only sell online, with a view to start street markets next year
Mich
 
Mich it was lovely having you here for a cuppa thanks !
Please pop over and visit Mich and say hello and
see her beautiful items for yourself .
 
I'll be back for morning tea next Wednesday with .......

 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great reading! Thanks for introducing us to another awesome handmade designer

Xx

Mrs. Lucky said...

Lovely reading about other parents with similar priorities and in similar interest/business/hobby areas who love what they do.

Mrs. Lucky said...

Oh.. Forgot to mention! Mich, try lemon and salt on carrot strips or in soda water. You may have another favourite :-)

Liz said...

Thank you for the cuppa. Lemon and salt took me back to my schooldays and being with my dad who loved this.