Saturday, July 23, 2011

keeping teens tidy ha ha ha !


In an effort to try and get the teen girl
to keep her room tidy I've made her
some pretty boxes to store her things in.

I know I'm not the only one with messy teenagers
so I've done a little tutorial for the boxes in case
you need help too .

They really are so quick and easy to make
that I thought they'd be great Christmas presents
with a few nice things inside .

You can make these any size just adjust
the measurements to suit .


First I cut 4 x 20cm x 20cm squares in two colours.
I then ironed a firm interfacing to the wrong side
of the fabric that I chose to have on the outside .

Stitch around 3 sides of the two front pieces
with right sides facing.
Repeat with the inner fabric but in this case
leave a generous gap for turning .

On the wrong sides of each base corner
mark out a square 3cm x 3cm.


Fold the fabric to make a neat corner .

Pin and stitch across the line .


Trim excess .
Repeat with inner fabric .

Place inner box inside the outer box
with right sides facing and side seams even
and stitch all the way around .


Turn your box the right side out through the gap
you left in the inner fabric .
Stitch gap neatly closed .

Press along the top edge of the box and top stitch .

Now your pretty box is ready to be filled
with junk by your messy teenager
or is this just what happens in my house !

14 comments:

Nima said...

thank you so much for the tutorial...i eed to make this soon

Liz said...

so pretty.Thank you for the tute!!!!

Ames and Tash said...

What a great idea!

Teresa said...

Thanks for the tutorial Clare.. these are lovely and would make terrific presents :)

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

They are perfect Clare. I still use the one that you made me in my ensuite for holding all my perfumes.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

Unknown said...

Thankyou for the ideas, its definately worth a try with my very untidy teen!

Jindi's Cottage said...

Very pretty...great idea...hope it works! (in keeping the teenager tidy that is)...

Shay said...

Your boxes are gorgeous but I think you're fighting an uphill battle there...been there ..done that!

Allie said...

How darling is that! Good luck trying to keep a messy teen neat - I've given up. And mine are boys, so they're worse....

Sew Useful Designs said...

Thank you for the tutorial Clare!

I can't imagine my teen son ever being tidy!!!!!

Hugs sweetie - have a great week!!!
Vikki xoxooxox

Indigo Blue said...

Lovely fabric Clare. I love gingham with anything! I have made a coiuple of these for my daughter. She has one by her bed which holds a drink bottle and some other bits and bobs.
Many thanks for sharing.
xx

quilary said...

Nice idea and great tute. I need lots of help with my messy lot. I wonder if I could make one room sized and toss everything - child included - inside...hmmmm

Unknown said...

Very cute!
Thanks for the tutorial.

NikkisWorld said...

I'm just learning to sew so will be trying to make these very soon. They're beautiful and practical! Love them x