Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I only cook because they have to eat

 
The weather is just starting to get cool here .
We have the fire going and we will start having lots of
soups and stews , yummy !
One of our favourites here is (believe it or not) lentil soup .
I know it doesn't sound all that much but with some
fresh baked bread it is a great meal .
 
This recipe serves 4 easily .
 
1 tin brown or red lentils rinsed and drained .
1 tin crushed tomatoes (mash them up more)
capsicum , onion , garlic , cumin, vegetable stock.
 
Heat some oil in your soup pan and gently fry the finely chopped
onion and capsicum . Add a heap of minced garlic and a tspn of cumin.
 
Add the tomatoes , lentils and vegetable stock.  
Bring to the boil and then let it simmer at least 20 mins
but the longer you leave it the better .
An hour or more is fantastic.
 
This batch I made I also threw in some mushrooms and
a zucchini that would have been wasted.
 
The cumin helps the lentils digest and not repeat on you.
I love cumin so I add more but if you don't like it leave it out .
You can replace the cumin with curry if you like.
 
For those that think they are being tortured having no meat
I cook up some finely chopped bacon and they just sprinkle
how much they need on top.
 
I really hope you like this soup I love it .
 
Anyway I have some stitching to get done for the
so I'd better get to it .
 
See you soon xxx
 
 
 

5 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

that sounds so good...I Love soup....

Rosie said...

I'm not fond of lentils, but the soup looks delish! Happy sewing.

Nanny@nannynotes2u said...

Thanks Clare! We love soup and I'm always on the lookout for fast, easy ones for when we are travelling. :) PS Can't wait to see what you are making! :)

our shabby cottage said...

This sounds like a Winter Warmer Winner Clare, I must try it.

Kate said...

Your soup looks and sounds delicious and easy to make - thanks for sharing!